Persons have often questioned the relevance of attending or being a member of a Church. Some persons say, ‘If I can stay at home and read my Bible, why do I need to go to Church?’ “As a matter of fact, there are so many hypocrites in Church that it doesn’t make sense I bother to go.”
Here, I would like to share with you not only the reasons, but the benefits for attending and being a member of God’s Church:
- Church is God’s idea. Church simply refers to the community of believers; God’s family; His flock; His people; His kingdom on earth; the body of Christ. God has no other entity for salvation, representing Him and doing His work, outside of His Church. It is the Church that God is depending on to carry the gospel to the world and to take care of each other in preparation for the Kingdom of heaven (Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 1:6-8).
- When you are ‘born again’, you are born into the family of God (Acts 2:47).
- God preserves and present His truth through the church (1 Timothy 3:15).
- Jesus was the One who established the Church and established her credentials (Matthew 16:16-18).
- Authenticity. Being a member of the Church identifies us as genuine believers (Romans 12:5; Ephesians 2:19).1
- Support. Through the church, we benefit from the combined wisdom and experience of other believers. The Bible teaches that there is great strength in unity (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12; Hebrews 10:24-26).
- Accountability. The church provides the spiritual accountability that is necessary for spiritual growth and maintenance of purity in practice and belief. In other words, through the leadership structure of the Church, God expects to safeguard the church against false doctrines and fanaticism (Acts 20:29, 30).
It is also understandable that because there are so many denominations, it might be a little challenging to find God’s true Church. However, based upon God’s word, as you seek for truth, it’s important to keep in mind the following Bible facts:
- God has a church that He wants you to be a part of (Revelation 12).
- God’s idea is to have one church; not many (John 10:16; Revelation 18:1-5).
- Those who genuinely seek for truth, will find it (John 8:32).
1 Warren, Rick, The Purpose Drive Church, pg. 313